Tuesday 13 June 2017

Whitsun Highlights

An absolutely incredible 9 days. So many wonderful experiences that I have compiled a top 10 of my Wildlife Wonders, rather than just a top 5.

I saw 91 species, two of which were lifetime firsts, and added 7 species to my 2017 list:
174 Black-tailed Godwit
175 Common Tern
176 Great Bustard
177 Stone Curlew - lifetime first 437
178 Nightjar
179 Turtle Dove
180 Roseate Tern - lifetime first 438

Wildlife Wonders:

#10 Roe Deer, Pagham Harbour 28/5
Lovely views. One of the two deer I saw.

#9 Bee Orchid, Pagham Harbour 28/5
Stunning little orchid. just look at those pollonia.

#8 Black-tailed Godwits, ferry Pool Pagham Harbour 28/5
Close views of these splendid birds, my favourite wader.

#7 Lizard Orchid
A lifetime first for me. Amazing curled labellum.

#6 Kittiwake Colony, Splash Point 3/6
Such gentle looking birds. Great to see such a thriving group of this declining species.

#5 Cuckoo. Church Norton 31/5
Amazing variety of calls. Several good views, poor picture.

#4 Stone Curlew, near Enford Wiltshire 30/5
Two adult birds and a chick. Lifetime first.

#3 Butterfly Orchids, Ashford Hangers Hampshire 27/5
Absolutely beautiful plants. My first for nearly 20 years.

#2 Turtle Dove, Alciston 1/6
What a wonderful bird. Shame it is unpaired,

#1 Nightjars, Iping Common 30/5
Absolutely enchanting, close views of this amazing species.

No comments:

Post a Comment