Tuesday 6 June 2017

West Dean and Kingley Vale

On my last day in West Sussex I managed to visit both of these iconic nature reserves. I started at West Dean, hoping for Turtle Doves.

Red-legged Partridge.

Speckled Yellow, Pseudopanthera macularia.


Common Spotted Orchid.

A female Scorpion Fly.

Later, in lovely hot sunshine, I visited Kingley Vale.

Yellowhammer.

Spotted Wood Butterfly.





Some of the astonishing 2000 year old Yew trees.

Buzzard.
A surprising daytime sighting of a Fox.

Again, I could hear no sign of any Turtle Doves. My copy of Best Birdwatching Sights in Sussex gives both these reserves a high chance of this species. However, it was published in 2003, so probably does not account for recent declines.

1 comment:

  1. The magic tree! The butterflies! The fox! All awesome and much appreciated by me

    ReplyDelete