Sunday 29 March 2020

Wood Pigeon, Hart's Tongue Fern and making Bumblebee nests - Day 10

A fierce northeasterly wind and wild sleet showers limited my outdoor time. An early Woodpigeon made short work of spilt food from the bird feeder. Such a ubiquitous bird, I rarely give them a second glance, but I am always pleased when I do.

The walk in the local wood was actually quite sheltered, but the wind had blown away any wildlife. The steep-sided scarp edge of the Downs has curving indentations, meaning there are several north facing slopes which favour Hart's Tongue Fern. They were looking good in the bright, summer-time sunshine with barred, rust- red sori.

Later in the day I ventured out in to the garden and hastily planted the rest of my butterfly seed mix. We also made four bumblebee nests, by filling inverted terracotta flowerpots with moss and dried grass, then partially burying them. I look forward to seeing if any become occupied.

 Woodpigeon


Hart's Tongue Fern


Bumblebee nests. Each one has moss and dry grass inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment