Thursday 26 January 2017

Frozen West Rise Marsh

I have been to West Rise on many cold mornings, but I have never seen the main lake frozen. Only about a quarter of it remained ice free. This concentrated the the waterfowl and gulls into a smaller area.

Black-headed Gulls, in their winter plumage, out on the ice.

Despite the ice the sun was actually very warm and there was no wind. Lots of interesting birdlife around, even if the resident domestic Water Buffalo took a bit of a dislike to me and moved me on around my circuit of the lake with a noise somewhere between a snort and a growl.

 The Long-tailed Duck.

Tufted Duck in the water with Gadwall roosting on the ice behind.

Reed Buntings were feeding on the grass and Pied Wagtails were hopping around the feet of the Buffalo. There remain several Little Grebes on the freshwater sewer, though Great Crested Grebes are still absent from the lake. Close scrutiny of the gulls revealed Herring, Greater Black-backed, Common and Black-headed.


I disturbed several Common Snipe, but was thrilled to get two good views of flying Jack Snipe, their much shorter bills distinguishing them. A Common Buzzard was sitting in one of the low trees to the north of the lake. A Kestrel and later a Sparrowhawk flew over, but the raptor highlight was a female Marsh Harrier quartering the southern side of the lake. Twice she actually landed in the reeds at the lake's edge.

A group of Shoveler flying in.

I managed my best views yet of the Long-tailed Duck, that has been in residence for several months. Other waterfowl seen were Teal, Shoveler, Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Canada Goose and Mallard. Just as I was leaving I caught a brief glimpse of a Cetti's Warbler.

The waterfowl concentrated in the open water. In the background are diggers which have been dredging the freshwater sewers that drain the levels.



2 comments: