Tuesday 13 December 2016

Rye Harbour

I timed my arrival for what passed as dawn, on a gloomy and misty morning.


Such a lovely place. I quickly saw Golden Plover in good numbers on Flat Beach, along with plenty of Lapwing, Dunlin, Shoveler and Wigeon.

Little Grebe.


I walked down to Beach Reserve and followed the dead-end track to view the pools, where two male Goldeneyes were displaying to at least four females. A few Teal and a female pochard were present.



Down at the sea a large group of Oystercatcher were sitting out the high tide. Meadow Pipit, Green Woodpecker and Greenfinch were about, but I did not see my longed for Grey Partridge.


Tufted Duck

Lapwing

Male and femal Wigeon

On the Ternery Pool were Teal, Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe, Tufted Duck and a Pintail.

Gadwall with a Little Grebe

Gadwall

Redshank

The Quarry hide gave the best views of the day, with some beautiful Gadwall very close. The huge numbers of birds looking east to Flat Beach was marvellous. A pair of Shelduck landed in one of the dry creeks.

Lapwing

Goldfinch

I managed a total of 39 species in two hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment