Thursday 8 December 2016

Levels

The cold weather and clear skies were ideal for a walk on the Levels.



On Saturday I set off from Cooden Beach walking west. Storm Angus has raised a significant shingle bank, about halfway down the beach. At high tide a long 'lagoon' forms.


Gull numbers were high, mainly Herring and Black-headed with a few Turnstones. I had a good look at some Common Gulls. They had developed their winter grey 'hood', which I had not seen before.


Out at sea were several Cormorants and a fast moving, tightly clustered, group of Common Scoter. A lifetime first for me.


At the rail crossing, I headed inland along the lane before taking a footpath back across Hooe Level. The landscape is magnificent, with wonderfully open views to the west that suggest a limitless grassland. The distant hills of the South Downs breaking the southern edge of the horizon.


Across the fields were scattered hundreds of Lapwing, with a large group of mixed corvids. I also saw Grey Heron, Fiedfare, Mistle Thrush, Green Woodpecker and a magnificent male Sparrowhawk Hawk.


At its eastern edge Hooe Level gives way to patches of lovely Oak woodland. At dusk I drove West towards Horse Eye, hoping for Short-eared Owl, but I had to settle for a large group of Fieldfare, a pair of sparring Buzzard, Stonechat and Kestrel.


The next day I went across to Pett Level. Glorious sun with a strong cold wind. A Marsh Harrier kept stirring up huge numbers of Coot,Wigeon and Lapwing. A lone Pochard was on the large pool with Tufted Duck.


Walking across the Level towards Winchelsea I kept flushing Snipe and I also saw a Jack Snipe and a Water Pipit.


2 comments:

  1. The shingle bank is interesting, wonder how long the lagoon will last, it would be great if it develops to become a wild life haven. Amazing skies and lovely feeling of space in which to bird bother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shingle bank is interesting, wonder how long the lagoon will last, it would be great if it develops to become a wild life haven. Amazing skies and lovely feeling of space in which to bird bother.

    ReplyDelete