Friday 21 October 2016

Term 1 2016: Birdlist

This term I have been extremely busy; I have spent more time on my patch and less time out at more productive sites. Consequently, for the first time in quite a while, my total for species seen of 72, is significantly less than in previous years (97 in 2015 and 88 in 2014).

Yarrellii Pied Wagtail at Sovereign Harbour.

Ironically this Autumn has probably been the most remarkable for rare migrants that I have been aware of. Nevertheless I have seen some lovely birds.

Black-headed Gull at Norwich.

Autumn being a time of transition, I have seen hirundines and warblers, but also my first Redwing and Wigeon of Winter.

Wigeon at West Rise Marsh.

The Black Swans were a highlight, though I accept that they can only be described as a feral species at best.
Black Swans at Sovereign Harbour.

A visit to Hampshire for a wedding meant I had great views of Red Kites. These charismatic birds are a rarity in Eastbourne, but very common there.

Red Kite at Oakley, Hampshire.

The Ring Ouzel invasion was a marvellous highlight, generating my second patch tick of the term, the first was a passage Wheatear. Another highlight was my second ever Black Tern, at West Rise Marsh.

Stonechat at Seaford Head.

There were 13 species I expected to see that eluded me, with Greylag Goose being the most surprising. On the plus side Bearded Tit and Tawny Owl were welcome surprises.

Goldcrest at Foxholes Brow, part of my patch.

The list:
Mute Swan
Black Swan
Canada Goose
Eurasian Wigeon
Mallard
Tufted Duck
Pheasant
Little Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Grey Heron
Little Egret
Cormorant
Red Kite
Sparrowhawk
Common Buzzard
Kestrel
Merlin
Hobby
Moorhen
Coot
Northern Lapwing
Eurasian Curlew
Black-headed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Black tern
Stock Dove
Woodpigeon
Feral Pigeon
Collared Dove
Tawny Owl
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Magpie
Jay
Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion Crow
Raven
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Bearded Tit
Swallow
House Martin
Common Chiffchaff
Willow Warbler
Blackcap
Common Whitethroat
Goldcrest
Wren
Starling
Ring Ouzel
Blackbird 
Song Thrush
Redwing
Robin
European Stonechat
Northern Wheatear
Dunnock
House Sparrow
Yellow Wagtail
White Wagtail
Pied Wagtail
Meadow Pipit
Rock Pipit
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Linnet
Reed Bunting


No comments:

Post a Comment