Friday 21 October 2016

Term 1 2016: Highlights

After a slow start Term 1 generated enough excitement to justify a top five.

#5 Black Swans, Sovereign Harbour 25/9.

I know these birds are only feral, but they looked marvellous on a bright sunny afternoon. They were later spotted on the Pevensey Levels.

#4 Ichneumon Wasp, Abbot's Wood 25/9.

I realised a lifetime ambition when I saw this wasp. I vividly remember reading about them as a child and marvelling at the amazing ovipositer.

#3 Roe Deer, Oakley Hampshire 14/10.

An amazingly close encounter with this deer. Initially sitting down it stood up to look at me before pronking off.

#2 Black Tern, West Rise Marsh 9/10.

Flying around the edge of the lake with a lazy looping flight. Only my second ever sighting of this species.

#1 Ring Ouzels, Seaford Head 9/10.

After the excitement of a patch tick for this species the day before, absolutely fantastic views of about a dozen Ring Ouzels in the scrub above Hope Gap.

An honourable mention needs to be given to a brief glimpse of my first ever British Wild Boar in Thetford Forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment