Monday 6 June 2016

Whitsun 2016: Highlights


This Whitsun week started and ended with marvellous weather, but was blighted with unseasonal grey and cold conditions for the majority of its nine days. Nevertheless, I went out a great deal, even if I did need my hat and thermals.

I saw lots of fantastic wildlife. Several experiences stand out: being surrounded by a blizzard of feeding Swifts on the Cuckmere as they flew within a few feet of me, watching half a dozen Gannets dive for food just of Birling Gap, listening to the impossibly sad calls of a pair of Whimbrel from the cliffs south of Crowlink, and being 'led' away from ten ducklings by an anxious Shelduck at the Cuckmere scrape.

Anyway, I have managed to select my top five Wildlife Wonders of Whitsun 2016.

#5
Wall Lizard, Holywell Eastbourne, Sunday 5th June.
I had read that this introduced species had reached Eastbourne. Saw two of these marvellous green Lizards basking in the morning sun.

#4
Male and female Bullfinches, Old Lodge Ashdown Forest, Wednesday 1St June.
Always exciting to see these shy birds. Lovely view just before a very heavy rain storm.

#3
A Badger in our garden, Hill Road Eastbourne, Wednesday 2nd June.
We were pretty confident the established track across the garden was a Badger track. Really thrilling to see one. It now feeds nightly at the backdoor, but if it feels the peanut ration is too small it trashes the bean plants.

#2
The Gull and Tern breeding colony, Rye Harbour, Saturday 4th June.
The sound and smell of this spectacle began before I was within sight of it, such is the incredible intensity of it. Black-headed and Mediterranean Gulls with Common, Sandwich and Little Terns. Chicks everywhere and everything goes mad if an adult bird returns with a fish.
Common Terns
Black-headed Gull chicks
Sandwich Terns

#1
Crossbills, Old Lodge Ashdown Forest, Wednesday 1St June.
After many previous visits I finally managed to see these mythical, to me, birds. Vocal, gregarious little parrot like birds with the crazy crossed beak.
Female Crossbill 
Male Crossbill 

No comments:

Post a Comment